Saturday, January 30, 2010

Frankenstein


I had so much trouble reading this book, I could not stand Dr. Frankensteins' whining and inability to cope with his life and own up to his mistakes. There was nothing wrong with his life, his family was loving, there appeared to be no financial issues. Even though he decided to shun the world and on occasion his loved ones, they stuck with him throughout it all, well until he somehow caused them to die anyway. So since he can't handle social interaction and for close to no reason at all other than to create life he creates a monster, and then runs away from it realizing it-- too late-- that he can't handle it. So he lets it roam free with no guidance, like throwing a new born out on the streets, except that newborn could probably pummel anyone in his way, so it's more like throwing out a walking mindless weapon. Alright, I stopped reading when he decided to go and escape from his problems AGAIN into the mountains with a mule Chapter 10. I thought at first, oh he's going there to look for the monster, no he's just wallowing in his grief. I assume the monster finds him when he's in the mountains. I think I read in sparknotes that the monster talks to him eloquently, yes they used eloquently, so apparently the monster can speak well and has learned some things, but apparently not enough because he asks for another creature to suffer with him. Great, that will make everything better, ask the man who can't handle his own life, fucks it up by creating a monster, so to make it better he should make another monster to cancel it out. Two negatives make a positive right?

So I wrote this before class and decided to stop myself from posting for awhile. I was looking through Frankenstein again, and I had more of an appreciation for it after class. How Marry Shelly writes about feminine things from a twisted man's perspective. Possibly creating a new perspective for her situation at the time. Exploring all the areas of obtained dangerous knowledge, abortion, and monstrosity. I still hate Dr. Frankenstein but I appreciate the book so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment