Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Equal Rights



















I now understand the computer game I used to play as a child! I never realized it was based off of a book, all I knew was that it was a game my parents had, and it had to do with a lot of talking and tricks, and the main character is a magician that is easily scared. It was so hard to play because the language of the game was German, I can speak it, I just can't read it as well as I would like. Oh and a treasure chest that eats things follows him around like a dog.

I find the narrative very interesting, and obviously connected to the plot of the story. It focuses on events that progress the story, and I have not noticed anything veering too far off from what is going on. I love the author's humor and tone, it is light throughout the book. As if from a child's point of view, putting me in that mindset of ignorance and continuous happening curiosities. He pushes the obvious and gives it a slight twist like when Granny was arguing with the little girl it said something along the lines of: it is obvious she is going to give up, it is most likely it will happen by the end of this paragraph. Then the paragraph ends, and she says she gives up.

Everything always seems to relate back to sex, but is only mentioned in the introduction. Sex, isolation, and the differences of male and female. The world itself seems childish and whimsical, everything is alive and consciously interacts with other species. Not to mention that the world is flat and placed on top of elephants and a giant turtle. Which is the most primitive view of how the world works, the being flat part. The world simply ends at a point, and it all seems to be a joke to some god, and is accepted as normal with the people.

"How did you get here, little girl?" she said, in a voice that
suggested gingerbread cottages and the slamming of big stove doors.
Favorite line ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment